I am officially naming the 3 companies, Alphabet, Amazon and Apple, as the “Disruption Posse”. They have gotten into the habit of smelling poorly served markets, complacency and in all cases a belief that they can make significant contribution to enter new markets with compelling products/services. The incumbents should be in for a rude shock and prepare for eventual obliteration of normal (cushy) business models and operations when they sense a possibility of any of these companies entering their markets.
The reason why I pick these the three companies to be part of this exclusive posse, and not VC funded startups, is because of their scale and market reach. Each of the companies have direct relationships with hundreds of millions of prospective customers and have the logistical and financial resources to go after large global markets.
So here is list of industries/markets that are disrupted or about to be disrupted by the Posse.
- Media – Youtube, Google News, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Apple Music, Apple TV
- Advertising – Google, Amazon (a little)
- Computing – AWS, Google Cloud Platform
- Transportation (Very long game) – Google, Apple
- Telecommunications – Apple, Google
- Medicine – Apple, Google
- Manufacturing/Warehousing/Logistics – Google (with Robotics), Amazon
- Smart Home – Apple, Google (Nest), Amazon (Echo)
I will keep updating the list as the disruption or its possibility unfolds.
Latest posts by Kris Gorrepati (see all)
- Can wearables help normal people shoot basketball like Steph Curry - April 26, 2017
- Free courses you can take to think like Steve Jobs - March 26, 2017
- Another One Bites the Dust in Retail - March 10, 2017